Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Brandon and Ashleigh


Brandon - "This is me and two of the other lawyers that I pay claims with. The guy in the sheik outfit is one of the local lawyers that we work with."

Brandon -"These are some kids that we ran up to us one day when we stopped to look at some buildings."
The 1st picture was at this place called ducks - food was great, sorry Ashleigh that we are cut off. Atticus is their dog from our old dog Cutter, don't they look alike! Kepler is wearing his presents from Ash -excuse the paci- and Dax just wish he could have gone with me in my carry on!

This past weekend I finally got to and visit my friend Ashleigh! The last time we saw them was when they came to MS to see Kepler at 6 weeks old! Ashleigh and I have been best friends since college and now our husbands are great friends too. Her husband is deployed in Iraq BUT, will be home in 13 days and she is so excited. Brandon is a Captain in the Marines. He is a lawyer and actually went to UA law school and then decided (a little against what Ashleigh wanted) to join the Marine Corp to be a SJA (Staff Judge Advocate) – same as a JAG with the Navy – for those of you who know that better.
I think a lot of Brandon – first of all because he is such a great friend to us, because he's such a good husband to Ashleigh, AND because he is serving our country. While I was there on base with her I decided to “interview” her one night so I would know what I am talking / writing about! So I hope some of you find this as interesting as I do.
So, as far as ranking goes… the officer side is required to have graduated from college - then he went to officer candidate school (Kevin and I got to visit them there and that was close to D.C.). After OCS he went to The Basic School (TBS) (side note, everything they say is abbreviated, like go to bathroom – GTB – kidding, but it is ridiculous, Ashleigh even said so too). After that they went to Rhode Island to Naval Justice School to study Military Law. And now they are at this base where I went to stay with Ash. At OSC he was 2nd lieutenant then 1st lieutenant at NJS and then promoted to Captain the first year they were there where they are now. He wanted to be able to have the whole experience while he served in the Marines and decided he wanted to be deployed. He’s been gone since the early spring.
And the rest is some things that I learned about while I “interviewed” her!
~ what he does there – pays claims to Iraqis for destroyed property, loss of life, occupation of homes (she said some ridiculous amount of money that he has actually given these people) He goes and meets them with another marine and pays them this money.
~ he counsels Marines on rules of engagement following the Geneva Convention
~ he is also in charge of the detainee facility. He’s there when they are brought in and has to be there when they are released. Also, he conducts investigations when things happen to Marines – she said he has already investigated three very bad situations – I won’t go into.
~ a MRAP is a mine resistant ambush proof vehicle. I guess that’s what they ride in everyday.
~ he lives in Uday’s (Saddam Husseins’s son) old resort that was bombed out. The lake in front of their house/ hut is where they found and pulled out thousands of Iraqi bodies.
~he has to attend the city (a well known city) counsel meetings and meets with local Sheiks - basically helping establish their laws.
~ and no alcohol is allowed there (I didn’t know that) and has to use a port a jon for a bathroom
So as Ashleigh and I ate fabulous meals and did some great shopping her husband was zillions of miles away serving our country. I say that to be funny, but All of this because we are proud of you Brandon and with Ashleigh we welcome you home(a little early)!

1 comment:

Rachel @ Moments With My Miracles said...

That was really interesting, Haley! Thanks for sharing!